Working under the leadership of the Afterschool Coordinator, this position is responsible for planning and implementing programming four days per week in an afterschool program for 15-25 children ages 5-13 at the Community Center at Las Abuelitas, an affordable rental housing site designed for kinship families. Las Abuelitas has a computer lab, a playroom, a small playground, a community garden and orchard, and a half basketball court.
Duties will include outreach to the surrounding neighborhood and Las Abuelitas residents, coordinating activities for children and adults, strengthening existing partnerships and forming new partnerships with organizations in the community that can offer programming, volunteers and resources. This position will work directly with residents living in the City of South Tucson.
There are also opportunities to participate in other initiatives organized with community groups active in South Tucson including: the Arizona Grandparent Ambassadors, a group that advocates for kinship families; the Healthy South Tucson Task Force; South Tucson Youth Leadership Council; and other community-based programs and initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the leadership of the Afterschool Coordinator, plan and coordinate programming and lessons for children ages 5-13. Developed programming will work within these frameworks:
- Homework help and tutoring
- Outdoor recreation
- Arts and crafts
- Gardening and healthy living
- Service learning
- Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to recruit volunteers from the community to assist during the hours of the afterschool program. Provide leadership in training and coordinating volunteers.
- Lead the program during the hours of the program.
- Strengthen existing partnerships and form new partnerships with organizations in the community that can offer programming, volunteers and resources, including but not limited to Tucson Unified School District schools and University of Arizona service learning students.
- Attend various community meetings and task force meetings in the City of South Tucson.
- Organize South Tucson residents for various issues and events.
- Attend Community Engagement meetings and training, quarterly all-staff meetings and other meetings as required.
- Work outside the hours of the after-school program, including evenings, Fridays, and/or weekends, on occasion to meet the needs of the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A desire to work with children and families.
- Ability to connect with and work with children and families.
- Ability to work successfully with others while planning programming.
- Ability to work effectively with and get to know a diverse population including program participants, the public and volunteers.
- Ability to communicate effectively and accurately orally and in writing.
- Ability to take initiative and function with minimal supervision.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of computer systems and software, including Microsoft products, email, and internet.
- Ability to work an occasional weekend or evening, assisting with special events at Las Abuelitas (perhaps once per quarter).
Required Education and Experience:
- Minimum of one year of work or volunteer experience interacting with the public.
- Experience or comfort working with low income individuals and families and with people experiencing homelessness.
|Mennonite Voluntary Service||Mennonite Voluntary Service||<p><strong class="ms-rteFontSize-4">Serve in community</strong><br></p><p>Join
an intentional community with peers, serve with a local nonprofit, and
plug into your neighborhood and local congregation</p><p>MVS <span><span>is a program of Mennonite Mission Network.</span></span><br> </p>|
|https://www.mennonitemission.net/Serve/Mennonite Voluntary Service, https://www.mennonitemission.net/Serve/Mennonite Voluntary Service||https://www.mennonitemission.net/Serve/Mennonite Voluntary Service, https://www.mennonitemission.net/Serve/Mennonite Voluntary Service|